Jennifer Hungate, PT, DPT
Board-Certified Specialist in Women’s Health Physical Therapy
Based in Elmhurst, IL.
I have had the privilege to be involved in the Academy of Pelvic Health Physical Therapy for the last 15 years. My first exposure was as a student in the CAPP curriculum and then as a lab instructor. That fostered my desire for greater involvement and service on the Board of Directors. Through these experiences, I have learned a great deal about the Academy, its members, and volunteers.
Recently, I have had the opportunity to assist in rebuilding the special interest group (SIG) infrastructure and my vision, if given the opportunity to continue to serve as the Board Liaison to the SIGs, would be to develop additional SIGs to promote the diversity of interest and practice within pelvic health. SIGs are a place to promote member engagement, education, collaboration, and advocacy efforts. These groups have only scratched the surface of their potential through the development of webinars, virtual connections, and educational materials.
Our members and volunteers are the heart of this organization and the future of our profession. As we are seeing increased engagement in the Academy, we need to do more to promote the growth and development of the future leaders of the Academy. I have benefited from collaboration and mentorship from our members and leaders. I would love to facilitate formal opportunities within the Academy to provide members and volunteers the skills needed to lead.
Finally, I have seen the trajectory the Academy has made as we have transitioned to independent management. This has provided us increased freedom to pursue innovative opportunities to facilitate financial stability and growth. More importantly, it has offered the Academy the opportunity to return to its focus to provide benefits to our members. The past, present and future of the Academy is investing in the diversity, enthusiasm, and passion for the profession.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy: Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2003
- Master of Science, Kinesiology: University of Colorado, Boulder, 1999
- Bachelor of Science, Exercise Science: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1997
- Certificate in Women’s Health: Rosalind Franklin University/The Chicago Medical School, 2008
- Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Women’s Health Physical Therapy
- Co-owner of Vitality Women’s Physical Therapy and Wellness a community-based private practice focused on women’s and pelvic health. Primary focus pelvic health with strong focus in orthopedic musculoskeletal care and cardiopulmonary health.
Industry Involvement & Accomplishments
- Currently serving term as Vice President (2019-2022)
- Director of Practice for the SOWH (2013-2019)
- CAPP Pelvic lab assistant 2006-2011
- SACE item-writer for Board-Certified Women's Health Clinical Specialist exam
- Member of PPS (Private Practice Section)
- Member of IPTA (Illinois Physical Therapy Association)