CAPP-OB Course Series
Intrapartum Topics of Obstetric Physical Therapy Webinar
The Intrapartum Topics of Obstetric Physical Therapy course is a two-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. This Part I (Lecture) is a prerequisite for Part II (In-Person Lab). Part I is conducted 100% virtually through a live webinar format. This PART I didactic webinar course provides the physical therapy professional with an in-depth understanding of how specific physical therapy interventions during the antepartum and intrapartum periods may affect birth outcomes and postpartum maternal health. Practical, evidence-based knowledge and advanced skills in providing therapeutic and educational support are included. Didactic instruction includes: maternal pelvis anatomic characteristics and biomechanical considerations for childbirth, orthopedic diagnosis considerations, causes and management of dysfunctional labor, psychosocial considerations in childbirth, labor and vaginal delivery, cesarean delivery, and early postpartum interventions.
- Learners will value their unique qualifications and position to provide therapeutically focused education to the antepartum client in support of the intrapartum period
- Learners will examine numerous variables involved in providing education for therapeutic support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will select and support appropriate methods of providing therapeutic support for the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will demonstrate appropriate integrated biomechanical and psychosocial strategies for therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will adapt strategies in response to numerous variables when providing therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client, as demonstrated through simulation
- Learners will create a basic educational marketing resource aimed at promoting the physical therapist’s role providing therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will display cultural competence toward all those in attendance during simulation of therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will favor the client’s autonomy during therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will weigh the client’s right to a safe and healthy birth as defined by the client
- Day 1: 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM Central Time
- Day 2: 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM Central Time
- Breaks are included: 15 min Morning break, 1 hour lunch break and 15 minute afternoon break
*Times may slightly change. Any time adjustments will be communicated with the attendees.
What is included:
- 16 contact hours of live instruction in webinar format with breakout sessions for group activities
- An electronic course manual, pre-reading assignments and additional handouts (12-month access)
- 50-question multiple-choice exam and survey (30 days to complete after the course)
- Certificate of Completion (issued upon 80% or higher score on exam)
- Eligibility: Licensed Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, 2nd Year and 3rd Year Student Physical Therapists.
- Prerequisites: None. However, we recommend students have some orthopedic/musculoskeletal coursework in their curriculum prior to attending the course.
- Equipment: Computer, access to Zoom, a stable internet connection, microphone, and webcam.
- Advancement: You must complete OBI PART I Lecture before advancing to OBI PART II Lab. You can take any of the OB CAPP series courses in any order (i.e. You do not have to take this course before proceeding to Intrapartum Topics or Fundamental Topics).
- “Great format. As a nursing mom, I prefer the webinar format for lectures as it makes taking this course possible.”
- “Great presentation – very clear and great visual aids!”
- “It was really a great experience to be able to learn from professionals and then be able to take breaks and eat with my family at home as well as be able to get things done up until the time to sign on. Overall a really great experience. Thank you!”
- “This was an awesome course. As someone who has never experienced birth, it gave me the perspective and knowledge needed to better understand my client’s experiences. I think I can better help them prepare for birth and give immediate postpartum advice. It also has sparked some lively discussion with some friends that are OBGYN residents. Hopefully this type of collaboration can help to change the culture of labor and delivery!”
- “This course was packed full of excellent, applicable and ground breaking Intrapartum obstetric information. I feel like I could take this course 3 more times and learn something new each time.”
Grace Period between Webinar & Lab
2020-2021~ 24 Months COVID-19 exception
Previously, participants who would take the OB webinar course would have to take the OB lab course within 6-12 months. Due to COVID-19, the Academy has decided to make an exception for those who have registered for the OB webinars. Those who registered for OB webinars in 2020 and 2021 have 24 months to complete the associated OB lab course. The Academy’s objective is to support you in your education and CAPP-OB certification process.
Pair your course purchase with a related OBI Lab course
Other courses that may be of interest to you…