CAPP-OB Course Series
Intrapartum Topics of Obstetric Physical Therapy Lab
The Intrapartum Topics of Obstetric Physical Therapy course is a two-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. This Part I (Lecture) is a prerequisite for Part II (In-Person Lab). Part I is conducted 100% virtually through a live webinar format. In PART II, labs offer skills that are immediately applicable and include: preparation for childbirth, positions for promoting efficient labor, hands-on interventions for dysfunctional labor and labor with orthopedic considerations, physical and mental coping including hands-on techniques. All participants will participate in comprehensive standardized patient lab scenarios to demonstrate skills integration competency. Upon completion of this lab course, participants will have expanded therapeutic and educational strategies to support the pregnant client in optimizing labor, delivery, and acute postpartum recovery. Participants will be working in groups of 2-3 during labs. All participants will participate in labs as both “clinician” and “patient.” These labs are appropriate for all participants to fully participate, including pregnant, post-partum and male participants. All participants will be required to complete the Consent & Release form on Day 1 of the course (forms will be available on-site).
- Learners will value their unique qualifications and position to provide therapeutically focused education to the antepartum client in support of the intrapartum period
- Learners will examine numerous variables involved in providing education for therapeutic support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will select and support appropriate methods of providing therapeutic support for the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will demonstrate appropriate integrated biomechanical and psychosocial strategies for therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will adapt strategies in response to numerous variables when providing therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client, as demonstrated through simulation
- Learners will create a basic educational marketing resource aimed at promoting the physical therapist’s role providing therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will display cultural competence toward all those in attendance during simulation of therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will favor the client’s autonomy during therapeutic and educational support of the antepartum and intrapartum client
- Learners will weigh the client’s right to a safe and healthy birth as defined by the client
- Day 1: 7:30 AM – 5:30 Local Time*
- Breaks are included: 15 min Morning break, 1 hour lunch break
*Times may slightly change. Any time adjustments will be communicated with the attendees.
What is included:
- 8 contact hours of live, hands-on lab instruction and supervision
- On-site, hands-on skills testing and feedback from your instructors and lab assistants
- A printed lab manual and electronic access to any additional handouts (12-month access)
- Post-lab electronic survey (30 days to complete after the course)
- Certificate of Completion (issued upon passing the on-site testing)
- Eligibility: Licensed Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, 2nd Year and 3rd Year Student Physical Therapists.
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of the OBI PART I Lecture course. We recommend students have some orthopedic/musculoskeletal coursework in their curriculum prior to attending the course.
- Advancement: You must complete OBI PART I Lecture before advancing to OBI PART II Lab. You can take any of the OB CAPP series courses in any order (i.e. You do not have to take this course before proceeding to Intrapartum Topics or Fundamental Topics).
- “Instructors were excellent.”
- “Great information on inlet and outlet opening and positions to help. I will use this information with patients as well as for my own future childbirths. I wish I had this information prior to my last 2 deliveries. Great round ligament stretch- already used it on a patient this week as well as the baby belt taping technique.”
- “Excellent lab! The case examples and small size of the class were the best parts of the lab.”
Grace Period between Webinar & Lab
2020-2021~ 24 Months COVID-19 exception
Previously, participants who would take the OB webinar course would have to take the OB lab course within 6-12 months. Due to COVID-19, the Academy has decided to make an exception for those who have registered for the OB webinars. Those who registered for OB webinars in 2020 and 2021 have 24 months to complete the associated OB lab course. The Academy’s objective is to support you in your education and CAPP-OB certification process.
Pair your course purchase with a related OBI Webinar
OBI Webinar is a prerequisite to OBI Lab
Other courses that may be of interest to you…