CAPP-OB Course Series
Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy Webinar
The Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy course is a two-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. This Part I (Lecture) is a prerequisite for Part II (In-Person Lab). Part I is conducted 100% virtually through a live webinar format. In PART I, the course will provide practical, evidence-based knowledge and skill in physical therapy evaluation and intervention with the pregnant and postpartum patient. Instruction includes: anatomical and physiologic changes in pregnancy; differential diagnosis in peri-partum; pregnancy-specific changes in posture and gait; postpartum recovery and scar tissue assessment and intervention; modalities during pregnancy, biomechanical strategies; exercise and wellness in pregnancy and postpartum. Additionally, advanced clinical decision making with these populations is discussed. In PART II, you will apply your knowledge from PART I (Lecture) in a face-to-face lab course with hands-on activities including external examinations (see available dates/locations below).
Upon completion of both OBF PART 1 Lecture and OBF PART II Lab, the learner will:
- Describe the anatomic and physiologic changes related to pregnancy and postpartum and how they affect evaluation and intervention.
- Perform an appropriate evaluation of a pregnant or postpartum patient with musculoskeletal dysfunction or pain.
- Assess for diastasis rectus abdominis with objective measurement skills
- Differentiate between musculoskeletal and medical diagnoses based on the subjective and objective evaluation of a pregnant or postpartum patient.
- Differentiate between low back, pelvic girdle and hip pain/dysfunction.
- Develop functional goals for musculoskeletal impairments in pregnancy and postpartum based on a systematic interview and examination of the patient.
- Develop an evidence-based plan of care for physical therapy intervention of pregnant or postpartum patients with musculoskeletal impairments or dysfunction.
- Perform selected manual therapy interventions for the treatment of pregnant and postpartum patient.
- Prescribe an appropriate wellness exercise program for a variety of skill levels for a pregnant or postpartum client.
- Day 1: 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM Central Time
- Day 2: 8:00 AM – 5:30 PM Central Time
- Breaks are included: 15 min Morning break, 1 hour lunch break and 15 minute afternoon break
What is included:
- 16 contact hours of live instruction in webinar format with breakout sessions for group activities
- An electronic course manual, pre-reading assignments and additional handouts (12-month access)
- 50-question multiple-choice exam and survey (30 days to complete after the course)
- Certificate of Completion (issued upon 80% or higher score on exam)
- Eligibility: Licensed Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, 2nd Year and 3rd Year Student Physical Therapists.
- Prerequisites: None. However, we recommend students have some orthopedic/musculoskeletal coursework in their curriculum prior to attending the course.
- Equipment: Computer, access to Zoom, a stable internet connection, microphone, and webcam.
- Advancement: You must complete OBF PART I Lecture before advancing to OBF PART II Lab. You can take any of the OB CAPP series courses in any order (i.e. You do not have to take this course before proceeding to Advanced Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy).
Grace Period between Webinar & Lab
2020-2021~ 24 Months COVID-19 exception
Previously, participants who would take the OB webinar course would have to take the OB lab course within 6-12 months. Due to COVID-19, the Academy has decided to make an exception for those who have registered for the OB webinars. Those who registered for OB webinars in 2020 and 2021 have 24 months to complete the associated OB lab course. The Academy’s objective is to support you in your education and CAPP-OB certification process.
Register for PART II (Lab)
The Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy course is a 2-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. Both are required to be eligible for the Certificate of Achievement in Obstetric Physical Therapy (CAPP-OB) program. Explore 2021 PART II (Lab) course dates.
- “Excellent instructors, knowledgeable and inspiring! Thank you for taking us on this OBPT journey!”
- “Instructors are knowledgeable, kind, and willing to answer questions. Easy to follow and understand. Well organized, able to respond to needs of the group and reorganize content as needed.”
- “Engaging and well thought-out Webinar was great! Very easy to access and very convenient to do from home.”
- “Overall this course was great and fulfilled my expectations.”
- “The content was great. The instructors were great. I have a difficult time sitting in one place for a long time so I appreciate being able to move around during lecture without bothering other people.”
- “Wonderful information. Lots of hard work put into this course.”
- “Thank you for this course. It was very educational and I appreciate the manual organization and reference pages. I felt many aspects of the course were very well covered.”
- “The course was excellent to affirm my baseline knowledge in this area and I look forward to the other course classes to further my knowledge and confidence in working with this patient population. I am particularly eager to pursue OBI. Thank you instructors for your thoughtfulness and time in providing the course!”
Pair your course purchase with an OBF Lab
OBF Webinar is a prerequisite for the OBF Lab
Other courses that may be of interest to you…