CAPP-OB Course Series
Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy Lab
The Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy course is a two-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. In this Part II Lab course, instructors teach you skills that are immediately applicable in your clinic and include: modifications of the pregnant examination; lumbopelvic examination and special tests (particularly for pelvic girdle dysfunctions); diastasis rectus abdominis assessment and intervention; external pelvic floor assessment and exercise (NO internal pelvic floor taught at this course); exercise in pregnancy and postpartum; scar assessment and mobilization techniques. All participants will participate in comprehensive situational lab scenarios to integrate all of their learned skills. Participants will be working in groups of 2-3 during labs. All participants will participate in labs as both “clinician” and “patient.” These labs are appropriate for all participants to fully participate, including pregnant, post-partum and male participants. All participants will be required to complete the Consent & Release form on the lab course day (forms will be available on-site).
Upon completion of both OBF PART 1 Lecture and OBF PART II Lab, the learner will:
- Describe the anatomic and physiologic changes related to pregnancy and postpartum and how they affect evaluation and intervention.
- Perform an appropriate evaluation of a pregnant or postpartum patient with musculoskeletal dysfunction or pain.
- Assess for diastasis rectus abdominis with objective measurement skills
- Differentiate between musculoskeletal and medical diagnoses based on the subjective and objective evaluation of a pregnant or postpartum patient.
- Differentiate between low back, pelvic girdle and hip pain/dysfunction.
- Develop functional goals for musculoskeletal impairments in pregnancy and postpartum based on a systematic interview and examination of the patient.
- Develop an evidence-based plan of care for physical therapy intervention of pregnant or postpartum patients with musculoskeletal impairments or dysfunction.
- Perform selected manual therapy interventions for the treatment of pregnant and postpartum patient.
- Prescribe an appropriate wellness exercise program for a variety of skill levels for a pregnant or postpartum client.
- Day 1: 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM Local Time*
- Breaks are included: 15 min Morning break, 1 hour lunch break
*Times may change
What is included:
- 8 contact hours of live, hands-on lab instruction and supervision
- On-site, hands-on skills testing and feedback from your instructors and lab assistants
- A printed lab manual and electronic access to any additional handouts (12-month access)
- Post-lab electronic survey (30 days to complete after the course)
- Certificate of Completion (issued upon passing the on-site testing)
- Eligibility: Licensed Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, 2nd Year and 3rd Year Student Physical Therapists.
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy Lecture (PART I).
- Advancement: You must complete Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy Lecture (PART I) before advancing to OBF PART II Lab. You can take any of the OB CAPP series courses in any order (i.e. You do not have to take this course before proceeding to Advanced Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy).
Grace Period between Webinar & Lab
2020-2021~ 24 Months COVID-19 exception
Previously, participants who would take the OB webinar course would have to take the OB lab course within 6-12 months. Due to COVID-19, the Academy has decided to make an exception for those who have registered for the OB webinars. Those who registered for OB webinars in 2020 and 2021 have 24 months to complete the associated OB lab course. The Academy’s objective is to support you in your education and CAPP-OB certification process.
Register for the Pre-Requisite!
Did you take PART I? The Fundamental Topics of Pregnancy & Postpartum Physical Therapy course is a 2-part course series composed of (PART I) Lecture and (PART II) Lab. The Part I (Webinar Lecture) is a prerequisite for Part II (In-Person Lab). Explore 2021 PART I course dates.
- “Great course, great review from the online course!”
- “Instructors were excellent! The books are so professional and easy to use!”
Pair your course purchase with an OBF webinar
OBF Webinar is a prerequisite for OBF Lab
Other courses you may be interested in…