Have you ever wondered if you’re billing for lymphedema services and treatment correctly?
Are your lymphedema services being denied?
Billing for the Application of Multi-layer Compression System
Here is some guidance on correct CPT codes and how to use modifiers correctly to help you get paid for your services.
CPT codes, 29581-29584, can be used to bill to insurance for the application of multilayer compression bandages used in lymphedema treatment. Below are the definitions of 29581-29584:
- 29581: Application of multi-layer compression system of the leg (below the knee) including the ankle and leg
- 29582: Application of multi-layer compression system of the thigh and leg including the ankle and foot (the entire leg)
- 29583: Application of multi-layer compression system of the upper arm and forearm
- 29584: Application of multi-layer compression system of the upper arm, forearm, hand and finger (the entire arm)
Billing Tips when using CPT 29581-29584
Although recognized as valid physical and occupational procedure codes, it is payer specific. It is recommend that one checks with their payer to verify if 29581-29584 will be covered when rendered by a physical or occupational therapist.
When billing manual therapy 97140 with codes 29581-29584, modifier 59 must be added to 97140.
When billing for bilateral application of multi-layer compression there are two options in submission:
The first option is to bill 2 units of the code and add modifier 50 to the code indicating bilateral application of compression system.
- 2 units 29584 followed by modifier 50
The second is to bill 1 unit with a modifier RT for right and the second unit with a modifier LT for left.
- 1 unit 29584 followed by modifier RT 1 unit 29584 followed by modifier LT
Katie works in an outpatient orthopedic practice. Katie has developed a women’s health program which includes the treatment of lymphedema, pregnancy and postpartum care, and pelvic floor therapy.